Wednesday, August 29, 2007

So many things to show you. Most of them are blurry.

CAUTION - THIS IS GOING TO BE A VERY LONG, AND VERY PICTURE-INTENSIVE POST. Mhmmm.

So, with the advice I got from Kim, and this very informative blog post from Wendy, I finally invested in a food scale:



There it is next to a toe-up sock in progress. I divided the hank into two even balls, and started knitting away. In case you're wondering, that's Zen String Serendipity Sock yarn in the Bloom colorway, purchased from The Sweet Sheep. I'm doing a toe-up version of the Music Man socks pattern found here. You can't tell it from the picture, but the yarn is awesome, and the stitch pattern is very simple and works well, I think.

Up next, I finished another single sock:



Again, I don't really know what's wrong with the camera, but I adore this sock. And you can't even see that it's pretty here. Also, note that I've started the second one. Here are a couple of close-ups of the stitch pattern:





This is the "Scrolls" pattern from More Sensational Knitted Socks, knit using Knitting Notions kettle dyed Classic Supersock Merino in Green Apple. I love this yarn. LOVE IT.

Next up is another single (with the second started, mind you):



This is one tall sock. It's just a plain old, generic toe-up, knit using Crown Mountain Farms' Sock Hop yarn in Pink Cadillac. I'm knitting this pair toe-up because the notion of having any of this yarn leftover makes me want to hurl. I knit the first one using an addi size 2 (which you know is really like a size 3) and now have a very, very thick sock. So, what I learned here is that I can probably go up a needle size or two and possibly even get a pair out of one skein. Hmm. Here's a close-up:



I think it's glorious, even if I did knit it. Next up, I made my usual weekendly trip to the Haus of Yarn on Saturday and ended up coming home with this:



That's the new Cat Bordhi sock book and a skein of Arucania sock yarn. YUMMY. I'll give you a brief review of the book, although I haven't combed through it in excruciating detail yet. This book is insane, and looks extremely interesting, and I can't wait to start a sock using one of the patterns. I mean, check out Kristy's finished sock. AMAZING!

In other news, check out my first handspun:



Pretty horrid, no? I got together with Leah, who so graciously let me borrow her wheel AND some of her Spunky Eclectic pencil roving to try and learn to start spinning. I think I like it, but I've got to tell you that I got pretty frustrated. Hm. I think I just need to get a wheel and spend some time with it alone. Yep.

And, finally, I have a couple of finished plain stockinette pairs that I don't think I ever showed you:



(Trekking 100)



(Koigu KPPPM in some colorway)

That's all I've got for now...maybe next time we'll have more finished PAIRS!

Smiles,
Erin

4 comments:

Jeannie said...

Nice socks! I especially like the green apple socks. The stitch pattern looks great with that yarn. Of course the Pink Cadillac socks are lovely. That would be great if you could get one pair of socks from one skein.

Anonymous said...

OMG, I didn't realize the Cat Bordhi book was from Haus of Yarn! I'm thinking I need to take a slight detour on my way home tonight!

I love those scrolls socks, definitely have to put that one in the queue.

Anonymous said...

Erin,

Your socks are amazing...I like the Trekking 100 too. The roving is Crown Mountain Corriedale Pencil Roving in colorway Wild Thing (or wild something....)

You did a great job and you are right. You need time to spend with a wheel and bond with it and get in the zone.

Last I heard HOY had more of those books on order and we hope to have them in by next week's Sock Knit A Long. We will have letter markers there too that can be used in conjunction with the book.

Nice pics of all your socks!

Anonymous said...

I forgot...I NEED to know how you did the cool sock pic at the top of your blog. I am technologically challenged and have a funky generic template for a blog and want something different. Howdja do it??? Very cool!