Monday, May 26, 2008

Spinning and Knitting up a Storm (alternate title: "What Else is New?")

Well, ever since I've learned this spinning thing, I've been spinning up an absolute STORM. Here are some shots of what I've done since I last posted - in order of what I spun first to last:







I'd tell you what all we have here, but I'm not sure that's so important (except for the middle one, which was spun from the fiber I mentioned in my previous post). I think the only real thing you can take from this is that I'm getting significantly better at this each time, even if I do say so myself.

I've also been doing a lot of knitting, although I've felt very unproductive as far as that's concerned lately. I don't think I've even finished a pair of socks yet this year...but that's OK. I'm spinning a bunch and making non-sock shop models, and loving my job, so it's all good.

I also designed my first pattern, which I have named Quinn, after the MTV show, Daria, which is, in my opinion a '90s classic. Here's a picture:



I promise it looks better in person. It's just a simple flappy purse made using NORO Daria. I want to make myself a much larger one, at some point.

Just so you don't think the sky has fallen, here are some shots of my current sock projects:



(Pattern: Socks for Veronik, Yarn: STR Lightweight, 24 Karat)



(Pattern: Lacy Pillars from the Loopy Ewe, Yarn: The Unique Sheep Tinsel Toes, Maya)



(Pattern: my own, for a toe-up/magic loop class I'll be teaching at the Haus in July, Yarn: Sheep 3 from Sheep Shop - LOVE IT)

That's 'bout it for now...I mean, there's more, but I'm off to eat corn and steak for Memorial Day. Of course, I can only have a little bit, since I started Weight Watchers 5 weeks ago (down 14.4 pounds...WOOOHOO!) - more on that later.

Smiles,
Erin

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Your hand spun is gorgeous! What are you going to make with these lovelies?

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous handspun! And love the socks!

Erin said...

Isn't spinning just absolutely addictive?