Friday, November 03, 2006

I'm not an addict, it's cool

So, I was just about to check my e-mail, and found this article on Yahoo. It's an article on Internet addiction and they site the following as symptoms to watch out for:

1. Lying about how much time is spent online.
2. General decrease of physical activity and social life.
3. Neglecting obligations at home, work, or school to spend time online.
4. Spending too much money on computer equipment or Internet activities.
5. Feeling a constant desire to be online when they're away from the computer.
6. Going online to escape real world problems.
7. Disregarding the emotional or physical consequences of being in front of a computer all day.
8. Denial of the problem.

So, I started thinking...aren't these questions you could ask when trying to decide if you're addicted to anything? Even, knitting, perhaps?? So, out of curiousity, I replaced "online" and "Internet" with "knitting" and could answer or partially answer "yes" to several of the questions.

The article also referenced a Net Addiction Test, which again, I feel could be applied to any addiction. I took the test and had this result:

"50 -79 points: You are experiencing occasional or frequent problems because of the Internet [knitting]. You should consider their full impact on your life."

I'm not sure you can even really taste this test and apply it to knitting or anything else, but I think it's possible.

Now, I don't really think I'm addicted. Is it even possible to be addicted to knitting, anyway? It's something to think about, though, for sure.

I enjoy knitting immensely, but I don't want it to get in the way of my life. Ever.

No comments: