Monday, November 20, 2006

Lots to report - Socktoberfest, part 1.

I realize I'm a little late on this one, but why should my blog be any different from my behavior in normal life (I'm always late)? Needless to say, I didn't really need Socktoberfest to be inspired to knit some socks, but I was. It was pretty obvious to me and, well, everyone else around me that my "sock bug" was in full effect during the month of October. I'm not sure how this is different from any other month, but whatever. I knit a lot of socks. Wanna see 'em? Okay. I'll preface all this by saying I didn't knit the entire lot in October...some of them were started a long time ago, and some of them got started in October, and well, you get the idea.

I'm going to start by celebrating the pairs of socks I finished. That's right - you heard it here first - PAIRS! I feel very accomplished. And might I add, it's very fulfilling to actually finish entire projectS. Yes, with an "s", because I finished more than one, and am reaping the benefits by actually being able to wear my handknit socks regularly! Enough, here are the are the PAIRS:



Here is a pair I knit from my basic sock pattern using All Things Heather sportweight in "Vacation". These things are soft as shit.

Here's a closeup:



And another, because I like you:



And the fully monty:



Here is a pair that, prior to taking the picture, had been washed about 4 times. It was made with the basic sock pattern using Fleece Artist merino in "Pinata":



I love the yarn, but the dye job was a little whack. I still think they're marvelous, though, even if I DID make them.

Here's my favorite pair I've ever made, knit with Schaeffer Anne in "Hot Stuff (?)":



And a closeup:



That's it for the pairs, but come on people...that's quite an accomplishment for me, considering my horrid case of SSS. I've come a long way. So, now, I will show you the single socks, so we maintain a theme for this blog. First up is another basic sock knit up with Black Bunny Fibers (you can find it on etsy.com) "Eat Your Veggies":



I LOVE this yarn. Really. You can't get any better, people.

Here's one done in Socks That Rock "Farmhouse":



I love me some Socks That Rock, but I've gotta say this skein wasn't as shiny as some I had knit with before. Hrm. Here's a closeup:



That's all of the single socks, so now we'll move on to the WIPs. Here's one in the works, knit with the custom Simply Socks Sock Yarn colorway of Fleece Artist merino:



Here's another one in Fleece Artist merino, in the "Tiger" colorway:



And a closeup of the yarn in the ball, because it makes me hot (not really):



Here's one that's allllllmost done using Knitty's RPM pattern and Koigu KPPPM:



That yarn looks prettier in the skein. It's so unfortunate.

Here's a fun PAIR. That's right - I'm trying a new technique with this one, in which I knit both at once, using magic loop. So far, it isn't bad, except that I have to stop every ten minutes and untangle the yarn. It is obnoxious. Also, I'm not exactly sure how this is going to work once I get to the heep flaps. That is, when and if I ever get that far. Mreh. Here 'tis:



And a closeup:



Here's one using a ripple stitch from a new book I found that I'll tell you about later in this post:



This was knit with some yarn I found on etsy.com from a vendor called Lavender Sheep. I realize I haven't gotten very far. I have a short attention span, apparently. We'll call it S.A.D.D. (Sock Attention Defecit Disorder).

I've actually finished this one, since I took this picture, and it is marvelous. It has to be one of my favorites. I knit it with Addi size 0s, and cast on 88(!) stitches:



I thought I was going to run out of yarn, but I ended up having just enough. This is Lorna's Laces in "Lorikeet", though I call it the Fuddrucker's colorway. And a closeup:



Here's another one I've since finished, using another lovely, lovely skein of Schaeffer Anne:



Love, love, love the striping.

Here's one that's barely started using the "Breathmint" colorway of the Syncopation line from the sKNITches online shop:



Next up is some more show and tell. I have added to my sock knitting library. Here are some Nancy Bush classics:



The Knitter's Magazine sock pattern books and a ripple and wave stitch book, which I ADORE:



And I won an auction on eBay for a huge lot of vintage patterns. Primarily, I wanted these:



Very nice. Here is one of my favorite pages:



I will definitely be making this one someday:



I'm about sock-ed out for now. I hope you enjoyed this calamity.

1 comment:

Sarah W. said...

Good God, woman! You are a sock knitter!